I Gotu.. Kola

For the last few years I have been struggling more and more with the joints in my wrists, hands and fingers, unfortunately years of horticulture does this to a person.
It has become increasingly more uncomfortable and hard to deal with in these last few months. So rather than pain killers, I thought I would investigate natural options.

Enter. Gotu Kola aka. The arthritis herb.
I have sold this plant for years, especially to older generations, to aid with arthritis and similar ailments, but up until recently, had never tried it. I had heard customers come back and tell me the difference it had made in their lives and even the reductions in medications they were taking.. and although I love a more natural solution, remained sceptical. 
After lying in bed for the 5th night in a row, unable to sleep for several hours because of the pain and discomfort in my hands and occasionally my feet, I had to try something.

I went to bunnings, and bought my self one. 

I wont lie, the first day I tried the leaf, my goodness, it was so bitter and disgusting, I had to wash it down with a sandwich. But after a few days I soon became accustomed to the taste.

I was expecting it to take quite a while to start feeling any different. The label, and from what I had read stated allow 2weeks of quite a decent dose to take effect.
After 3 days I could already notice the difference. Although still uncomfortable, I was able to fall asleep much quicker, it was nowhere near as bad.
After 5 days both me and my partner noticed a dramatic difference! I wasn't fidgeting anywhere near as much just to try get comfortable, and the swelling in my hands had reduced massively. Especially my right, of which I have nerve damage.
I went out and bought a second plant, so I could balance out the snaffling of leaves 🍃 

It has now been a week and a half, I have 3 plants and I and able to do a full day of hard gardening and still get to sleep at night , without anywhere near as much discomfort. Don't get me wrong I do still have some, but it is definitely much easier to manage.
So far, I am just eating one leaf a day, morning or night, whenever I remember.
As my plants get bigger I will try two leaves and see the difference.

How do you grow it?
Gotu kola does enjoy a lot of moisture, so its best to plant somewhere you can maintain this. They will do really well in a boggy/swampy area, or even floating on a pond!
I have mine planted in hanging baskets and a portable veggie bed. In both areas they have water storing crystals for extra moisture around their roots, and, although they will take sun, I have them under the patio as I have found their leaves burn easily, and , we want the leaves! To keep it healthy, make sure your giving small doses of season and fertiliser regularly. 

Remember Seasol and fertiliser are different!

A few things about the arthritis herb!

This herb has also been known as 'the fountain of life' as, according to legend, a Chinese herbalist lived over 200 years as a result of taking this herb!

For over 2000 years Asain countries have used this herb to help with ailments such as:
  • healing wounds
  • relieving diarrhea
  • boosting energy levels
  • reducing anxiety
  • enhancing sexual potency
  • treating venereal diseases
  • treating skin diseases
  • treating menstrual disorders
  • slowing Hansen’s disease (leprosy) progression
  • prolonging life
Please always make sure you check with your health care professional before trying these things!

Comments

Popular Posts